Friday, July 30, 2010

Chicken & Goat Cheese Stuffed Potatoes


I have been such a slacker with blogging lately. I am working on being "unplugged" for most of the day and my blogging time has been much limited. I posted a picture of Chicken and Goat Cheese Stuffed Potatoes on my FB page and some people wanted the recipe. So, I thought what better way to get back to my blog than post a fairly inexpensive and clean dinner recipe! Here is the original recipe(from Clean Eating magazine):

Chicken Blue-Cheese Stuffed Potatoes

- 6 russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 lbs), peel left on and scrubbed well
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 oz baby spinach (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1/2 small yellow or red onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup reduced fat blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp low fat plan cream cheese
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. With a fork, poke holes in potatoes. Wrap potatoes separately in foil and bake in a large baking dish misted with cooking spray for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until tender. Let cook at least 15 minutes.

2. Season chicken with 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add spinach and onion to the same skillet and saute over medium heat until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat, set aside.

3. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out centers, leaving 1/4 inch thick shells. In a large mixing bowl, mash potato meat, set aside.

4. Stir chicken and spinach mixture into potato meat. Add blue cheese, cream cheese, lemon juice and remaining 1/4 tsp salt, stirring well. Spoon mixture into potato shells, dividing evenly and place potatoes, cut-side-up, on a baking sheet misted with cooking spray.

5. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned and thoroughly heated.

As we all know, I cannot follow a recipe to save my life. I subbed goat cheese for the blue cheese and plain Greek yogurt for the cream cheese. I omitted the lemon juice and cooked the chicken breasts the night before. I had pounded the chicken to about 1/4 inch thickness and cooked them in a large skillet. I cut them into pieces the next day to put into the potatoes. I also added some Italian seasoning and paprika. I thought they needed a little bit more flavor (besides salt...I think everything needs salt). But, if you played with the flavors a bit, this would be a delicious dish!!!!

Cost per serving (estimate): $1.50

This dish is very economical as it uses only a half pound of chicken and not a lot of expensive ingredients. I thought it was filling and a good base recipe. Next time I will add some more seasonings...I just threw some extra things in there but didn't have a lot of time to get it just right. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment